Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Disneyland.

For Cayden's third birthday this year, we thought we'd "keep it small" and do a simple first family visit. A trip for three grew to a trip for five when the grandparents decided to come along, and soon after Uncle Timmy from New York decided he time his trip west perfectly for the date. We were happy to have everyone together, and by the end of the weekend (yes, we booked a hotel for the night) I decided there is never really enough time, money, or toddler stamina to do everything at Disneyland.


Of course, no trip would be complete without the ceremonial "first pair" of Mickey ears. Not only do you have to get the ears, but you have to also wait in line to get the "It's my Birthday" button.
Without even a walk down Main Street, we managed to bump into Mickey at the perfect time and didn't have to wait long for our picture. The amount of screaming, swarms, and cameras going off would have you guessing that someone far more important was there. But he is THE Mickey Mouse after all. By the time we drove, got in the gate, and sat down on the train, I could tell that Cayden was tired, overwhelmed, and in a serious need of a nap. Poor guy had 5 adults kept pestering him about wether or not was having the time of his life.

What's funny is that in the end, the happiest moment for me wasn't documented, or posed, but was dinner and drinks with my tired family in the hotel lobby miles from Main Street. There was laughter to the point of tears, and everything just felt so good in those moments. Cayden won't remember it, but I know it will be the story of the trip that I tell him.

Fast forward three months later, Cayden says to me from the backseat of the car, "Mommy thank you for taking me to Disneyland for my birthday. That was so fun." Awww, makes me want to go back again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment