Saturday, October 10, 2009

Birthday Blues...


Poor Cayden. He doesn't know that his mama is a teacher, and that his birthday falls precisely at the end of the busiest week of the year for me. This goes both ways; I will likely always be scrambling to pull his parties together for the years to come, but, he also is my constant reminder of why I need to slow down sometimes and remember that he is my most important student of all.


First birthdays are a big moment for the whole family. Everyone comes back together to celebrate the first year of the baby's life; it's a huge moment for parents and grandparents. But, Cayden's second birthday seemed much more for me. I intended for it to be small, but I think there were almost twice as many people there as last year! It was a milestone for our family; Thom and I have been parents for two years. The baby memories are already starting to fade away. I can't stop looking at Cayden and thinking about the amazing little boy he's turned into. And there on that afternoon, despite all the phone calls I don't return, or passes I give to nights out were the people (with the exception of two) that love me and my family, just as much as they did on the day Cayden was born. This whole circle was celebrating two years of our family's journey. That felt amazingly good.


Unfortunately, when it came time to celebrate the big occasion, Cayden didn't feel the love we did. He was terrified!

Our little monkey, he played so hard that day, and I scheduled party time smack in the middle of nap time. He was pretty worn out by the end of the day, but I secretly loved it because when the guests were gone, and the tables were cleared, he settled into the ever-so-familiar place in my chest to sleep. The same exact place we spent our first night together two years ago. Happy Birthday Monkey.

0 comments:

Post a Comment